Friday, February 9, 2007

Frog Family Concept Art

For those of you who don’t know, I’m spending the next four months up here in the wilderness animating. Over the years I have had a lot of ideas for shorts that I never got around to animating, so I’m hoping these next few months will allow me to get it out of my system. The first project I’m working on is a short called “Frog Family,” and it’s a concept that’s been floating around in my head for the last few years. The film will run about 1 and a half minutes and stars three frog characters. Of course I use the word “frog” loosely, as they aren’t really frogs. Like my previous shorts, “Beautiful” and “Happiness,” this will feature critters that are not of this world. Usually when I design creatures, I try not to make them too abstract or alien, I prefer to keep them mostly familiar. These creatures are based on frogs, but with a few variations.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



The picture above was my original concept design. I love the look of these guys a lot, but decided to go a different direction. Maybe I’ll use this design on some other characters in the future.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I eventually decided to give the back-half of their bodies a slug look, to allow for some comical movement, and I replaced the catfish barbels (whiskers) with ears.

No comments: