Friday, February 9, 2007

Big Bulky Characters

When I'm building big, bulky characters like the Frog Family who have very limited movement and don't have to walk on legs or carry things, I usually don't use armatures. Armatures are skeletons that help support the character, and I usually build them out of wire and epoxy putty. If there is no major limb-movement, but I still want to have a little support for the various appendages, I'll use toothpicks. Most of my characters have tons of toothpicks in them, I love to use them. I also build up most of the body mass with dirty clay and cover it with clean clay of the right color for the exterior. This is a great way to recycle used clay, and save time when you have to mix your own color (which can be tough and time-consuming) by only making enough to cover the outside.

No comments: